Peanut Butter and coffee: The perfect combination?
Putting peanut butter in coffee might seem odd to some, but it is actually a great way to get some of the nutrition we need, plus it is delicious and filling. The mixture has a creamy texture and is very easy to make.
In short, these are the main reasons people put peanut butter, peanut butter (a.k.a. PB) in their coffee or espresso.
- The combination of sweet and salty taste of peanut butter with coffee makes the drink more satisfying.
- It’s packed with nutrients. Protein, carbohydrates, and “good” fat (monounsaturated fats) from peanut butter, along with caffeine from coffee, will help activate your brain in the morning.
- Coffee will be more filling, which will probably keep you from getting hungry or overeating during the day.
- For those who do not drink sugar or cream in their coffee, this can be a nice alternative.
- Furthermore, it adds protein to the diet, which is beneficial for those preferring a healthier breakfast option.
What Is the Origin of Peanut Butter in Coffee?
Researchers are unsure why the flavor combination gained popularity in the 1940s.
There is a belief that doctors prescribe the combination of coffee and peanut butter to malnourished patients, but research has not proven this.
Diners and coffeehouses served it frequently, so it may have received more exposure than other flavors.
Which Peanut Butter Brand Is Best For Mixing With Coffee? My Little Experiment.
We actually bought 5 types of peanut butters to try out various recipes and formula for the best cup of peanut butter macchiato.
The best peanut butters for mixing with coffee my own experiment are:-
- Skippy Creamy,
- Jif Creamy
- Skippy Chunky, and
- Jif Crunchy
Check out the following information on my little experiment on adding peanut butter to my morning coffee.
|Skippy Creamy||Skippy Chunky||PB2||Jif Creamy||Jif Crunchy|
|Mix with Espresso|
|Appearance||Smooth||Peanut chunk at the bottom||Looks like latte||Smooth||Peanut chunk at the bottom|
|Taste||Heavenly spread||Easy to drink||Powdery feel. Delightful taste.||Wonderful taste & aroma||Gastronomical delight|
|Mix with Instant Coffee|
|Appearance||Smooth, Slightly darker||Peanut chunk at the bottom||Slightly darker||Smooth, Slightly darker||Peanut chunk at the bottom|
|Taste||Rich, Balance||Slightly more bitter||Full-bodied, powdery||Rich, Tang aftertaste||Rich, slightly more bitter|
|Smoothies with Espresso|
|Appearance||Mouthwatering||Tasty||Scrumptious||Shouting “eat me!||Appetizing|
|Taste||Mellow, Smooth||Rich||Divine||Mellow & Soft||Full|
Making Peanut butter coffee with Skippy and Jif creamy
Overall experience of making peanut butter coffee with the creamy variant from Skippy and Jif gave me a good and delicious cup. Both are sumptuous and tasty. I carved for more after drinking it but need to limit myself to maximum 2 cups of coffee per day. However if I have to only choose one, I will go for Skippy probably it is slightly salty and smoother and it balance very well with my espresso or instant coffee.
Making Peanut Butter Coffee with Skippy and Jif with Peanut Butter Chunks
The taste of Skippy Chunky and Jif Crunchy peanut butter with coffee taste similar to the creamy variant. However I do not fancy the present of peanut chunk in hot or cold drink. Nevertheless, chunks are suitable for peanut better coffee smoothies.
Making Peanut Butter Coffee with PB2
PB2 was a surprise find while I was browsing the internet during research on the topic. I ordered it online and it is perfect for making drinks and desert with it. As it is in powder form it is easier to dissolve it in the coffee. Although PB2 also has lesser fat per serving – almost 70% fewer calories than traditional peanut butter, it did not loose any peanut butter flavor.
One tablespoon of PB2 is about 1.5g fat vs 6g for others peanut butter. That’s 70% lesser. If you want lesser calories in your peanut butter drink, PB2 is a good alternative.
Peanut butter coffee with espresso
I uses single shot for a small cup 8oz and double shot for 12oz cup. The beans are Mandheling arabica beans roasted to slight over medium roast. As this is my preference, I love the espresso taste over the instant coffee when it mix with the peanut butter.
Peanut butter coffee with instant coffee
The instant coffee that I use was a dark roast. Therefore it is not exactly a head to head comparison with the espresso. The instant coffee also can go along with the peanut butter. It is slightly stronger to my liking though. Nevertheless instant coffee can produce a decent cup of peanut butter coffee.
How to Make a Peanut Butter Coffee at Home?
If you are bored with latte or mocha and want to try something new for your coffee fix, peanut butter coffee is another delicious choice for you.
Even though this coffee beverage looks fancy, we can make it with simple steps.
If you want to choose which peanut butter to use, stick to what you eat. In the table above, I summarize my experiences with five kinds of peanut butter. You can use it as a guideline when choosing peanut butter.
- Peanut Butter, Espresso or Instant coffee, whipped cream (optional), milk
- Make yourself a cup of strong coffee (either a single shot for a 6oz cup or double shot for a 12oz cup)
- Pour milk into a pan with two tablespoons of peanut butter.
- Turn on the stove and stir constantly until the peanut butter fully blends with the milk.
- Pour the peanut butter and milk mixture into your coffee mug.
- If you prefer smoothies, let the mixture cool down and add a cup of ice cubes. Then blend until smooth with a blender.
- You can top it with whipped cream, peanut butter chips, and chocolate syrup.
- Now your peanut butter coffee is ready for your enjoyment.
Tips: You can use almond milk or oat milk to substitute the full cream milk.
Which Café Is Has Peanut Butter Macchiato On Their Menu?
Dunkin donut has launched the peanut butter macchiato coincide with the Halloween festival.
The drinks has raving reviews from fans. The Dunkin Donuts’ fan love the chocolaty coffee and creaminess of the peanut butter.
There is 2 layers of the drink with the peanut butters at the bottom and the espresso at the top while it slowly diffusing to the bottom. When you mixed it, it has a taste of chocolaty, nutty with lots of peanut butter vibe. The drinks was beyond compare and you ought to give it a try.
Brett & Brad here give it 9.5/10 and they admit they are being stingy in the scoring. LOL.
It’s priced at $3.79 for a Medium Hot Peanut Butter Macchiato and $4.29 for a medium iced version, though prices vary by location.
The health benefits of peanut butter coffee.
- Ability to assist in weight loss
- Monosaturated fats, otherwise known as the good fats, are abundant in peanut butter. Peanut butter gives you energy and helps you maintain a healthy weight.
- Packed with protein and fiber
- Sugar content is lower, so it can reduce blood sugar spikes. Therefore, it has a lower glycemic index. People with diabetes who are prone to unstable blood sugar will benefit from this.
Peanut butter and coffee goes well. It is not only delicious but also nutritious. You can DIY it as it is simple and not complicated. For those who are calorie conscious, you can consider PB2 peanut butter.
If you enjoy peanut butter coffee and do not want to do it yourself, you are in luck as you now can get it from Dunkins Donuts’. However we do not know whether it is going to be permanent on their menu.